Club News‎ > ‎

Seniors and Reserves draw in Ardboe

posted Aug 19, 2013, 9:52 AM by Martin McGirr

Fr Rocks share spoils in Ardboe 
Fr Rocks seniors made the trip to Ardboe on Saturday evening for what turned out to be a thriller against the Lough Shore men. Brian McGuigan opened the scoring in the second minute with Owen Mulligan equalising from play a minute later. The teams were level after eighteen minutes with a double from Raymond Mulgrew keeping Cookstown in the chase. Ardboe however found the net from the boot of MIchael Cassidy and they stretched their lead two minutes later with Nishi O'Neill putting four between the teams. Fr Rocks to their credit did not give up and an Owen Mulligan brace of frees, as well as a Christopher Eastwood point from play saw them trail 1-5 to 0-6 at the break. The home side were reduced to fourteen men just after the break, and. For the next fifteen minutes Fr Rocks dominated but failed to make it count on the scoreboard, kicking six wides in a row, before Chrsitopher Eastwood eventually kicked a score. With scores hard to come by it was Eastwood again from play, which set up a thrilling final ten minutes and put just a point between the teams. The last three minutes belonged to Cookstown captain Owen Mulligan who kicked two brilliant free kicks, from distance, to leave the teams level on a final scoreline of 1-7 to 0-10. This was another good team performance which leaves the team in contention for a League play off place and unbeaten in the previous six games.  Cookstown scorers – Owen Mulligan 0-5 (3frees), Christopher Eastwood 0-3 (1free), Raymond Mulgrew 0-2

Reserves keep unbeaten run alive. 
Fr Rocks reserves kept their unbeaten status with a hard fought draw against second placed Ardboe on Saturday evening. The youthful Rocks team remain top of the table after eleven games played and unbeaten to date. They trailed at the beak on a scoreline of 1-5 to 1-4 but in the second half played all the football, and scores from Danny McElhatton a Barry Potter penalty and  John McIvor point saw the teams level with minutes to go. A brilliant forty five meter kick off  the ground from Eoin O'Connor seemed to secure victory, but Ardboe snatched a very late equaliser to leave the final scoreline 2-7 to 1-10.